Oktoberfest in a slow cooker

About a year ago, my husband and I took an amazing trip out west to the Four Corners area.  During our stay in Ouray, Colorado we ate at a German restaurant, and it was the best German food I had ever had. Working as a freelancer, the time I can set aside for cooking (and blogging) has been a bit unpredictable.  As a solution, I've been trying to plan one or two slow cooker meals a week.



Not only does this hearty meal bring the flavors of Oktoberfest into your home; it cooks itself while you go about your business, and it contains fairly healthy and economical ingredients, with not a cream-of can in sight!

(Just ignore my work stuff in the background of that shot.)  :)

Try serving it with an apple and cheddar salad for a complete meal!


Ingredients:
8-12 oz. shredded cabbage, rinsed
3 non-GMO potatoes, scrubbed and chopped small
1 large onion, sliced
1 can beer (the cheap stuff will do)
16 oz. organic kielbasa sausage, sliced (I use the turkey variety)
1 Tbs. apple cider vinegar
1 Tbs. dry mustard
1 Tbs. caraway seeds
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Combine all ingredients except cabbage in the slow cooker.  For best results, cook for about 6 hours on low.  Then stir in the cabbage about 20 - 30 minutes before you're ready to eat.  If it overcooks, the cabbage can get a bit mushy.  :)

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment